Sunday 18 May 2014

Some gold at the beach

So I went to the beach with my little man on Saturday as it was a lovely day. He's only just turned 4 so it's nice to take him to the beach to do some 'treasure hunting' together. He likes it when daddy gets a signal so he can help dig the hole. We usually only about an hour together and as the hour usually involves other playing such as 'running away from the sea' and throwing stones in the sea we only usually dig about 10 or 15 holes.

Well the first hole we dug together had a pound coin in it (which later got spent on the postman pat ride in the arcade).

The second hole had the below in it. Was rather surprised to say the least!





I'm not sure how the old ring is. It could be 1861 or 1936 or something else. I believe the maker is Samuel Hill although I'm slightly confused as to whether Samuel Hill is the same as H Samuel the high street jeweller so any assistance greatly received! It certainly looks like it has been through the wars.

We then proceeded to dig out some more pound coins and quite oddly 6 pre-decimal sixpences and a nice button after which we were both quite hot and so went for some sausages and chips at the cafe which is his favorite. 



Lovely day.

10 comments:

  1. Nice chunk of yellow there DB, great weekend for it also.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and of course, the find was reported to the local police (although very doubtful that it will ever be claimed as lost property)...was the only thing missing from your report...???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet Steve as they don't open on a Sat evening or Sunday. As with my first ring I'll hand it in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done... You don't have to "hand it in" nowadays. Many of the constabulary's simply have a website that you report the find on. Someone behind the scenes then tries to match up the description of the item with reports of what was lost. If no claim is made, then after a short period of time (three months from memory) the find is rightfully yours... Nice find by the way....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steve I didn't know that, so will have a look at my constabulary. Last ring I found I handed in in person which was slightly inconvenient given their limited opening hours. I then got 28 days.

    I'm not sure that in Law it is rightfully mine as such as the original owner probably has a better claim than I. I think by handing it in I have at least tried to find the original owner which means it's not theft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good day you had there, lovely ring. Did you dig it all from the wet or dry sand?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks janner. All from the dry. The beach I went to has been stripped back a lot so there is a lot of stuff even at the high tide mark. It's nice to as very little falsing from the euro even on the wet stuff on this beach which is a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a useful site to help with identifying gold hallmarks. Take a look at http://www.gold-traders.co.uk/hallmarks/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi and thanks Richard. Nice to see a new face. Someone kindly pointed out that the hallmark is 1986.

    ReplyDelete