Wednesday 26 March 2014

Nazi War Diggers Part 2

UPDATE 27/03 Please note that the Metal Detecting Forum threads linked to below have now been deleted.

Over on The Metal Detecting Forum discussion continues about the Nazi War Diggers programme in two threads here and here.

It would appear there is a going to be some sort of Q and A session which might address some of the obvious concerns.

I have to say I'm really struggling with Mr Gottliebs presence on the show. Having had a look at Mr Gottliebs website it's clear he sells Militaria. He will also let you know what your Militaria is worth. From his bio he's clearly done very well.

Now there is clearly a finite amount of such militaria that is not buried alongside the fallen and with interest in World War II militaria apparently on the increase I cant help but think that Mr Gottlieb has a vested interested in the looting of dead soldiers in that it fuels the increasing demand.

I would be interested to know what if any steps Mr Gottlieb and his History Hunters website go to to make sure that the items they appraise and buy haven't been looted from the bodies of the fallen, the same fallen that this programme seemingly goes out of its way to give a proper burial.

Oh just read the comments under a clip of the programme. Er not good, ie

'I also have an MA in Bioarchaeology, and I have a serious question. Why aren't these fellows in jail?'
 
Sadly looks like a case of no such thing as bad publicity (appreciate the irony in what I just wrote).

Without some bloody miracle this really doesn't look good for metal detectorists.

Still I did say I'd trust Addicted to Bleeps (one of the diggers) so here's hoping that short clip is not representative of the actual programme. I'm afraid I am pessimistic.

2 comments:

  1. A philosophical question.....
    If you wish to be well-thought of do you

    a. let the awful views of some of your colleagues be seen by the public, and say you disagree with them?

    b. hide the awful views of some of your colleagues and therefore hide your disagreement with them

    c. Set up an organisation of your own that is entirely devoid of awful views, awful behaviour and awful people - like every other respectable club or organisation does?

    It's so tiresome watching you lot choosing 1 or 2 when logic, self-interest and conservation has been screaming at you for many years to go for 3 !! If I was younger I'd take up metal detecting just to take step 3 for you. What have you got to fear? The disapproval of awful people?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If i feared the thoughts of others i wouldn't be doing what i'm doing.

    but yes c) is one idea.

    I don't believe i've done either of a) or b)

    ReplyDelete