Friday 7 March 2014

What is responsible detecting on a beach?

Last week I went twice to a beach I've never been to. Previous to this visit I've only been detecting about 10 times and whilst it has been nice to get some fresh air I've only ever tended to dig up ring pulls, bits of aluminium, big bits of iron, the odd coin and the odd fishing weight.

On my first visit to the beach I found that it had been really stripped back due to the winter storms. Predecimal and only predecimal coins were either laying on the surface or were just an inch or two down. In 3 or so hours I found 79 of them. They were all from about 1910 - 1950. I found very little apart from coins.

I went back about 4 or 5 days later and found that the beach had started to sand up a bit. Interestingly instead of turning right when I got onto the beach I turned left and all day I found no coin older than 1950. Indeed out of about 40 coins the majority were decimal. I also found 25 fishing weights and my first gold ring. The gold ring was way below the high tide mark, it had not just been dropped.

I found next to no ring pulls, aluminium etc.

I picked up and binned the iron that I found.

I back filled all my holes properly.

I stopped and talked to people who seemed interested.

I thought that ring looked a bit old and knackered and had been in the sea for some time. I did not at the time report it as lost.

On reflection I should have reported the ring. I will be doing that this afternoon. Even though the chances are it's been in the sea for yonks I should have at least reported it if not just to clear my conscious.

Apart from not reporting the ring I wonder if I could do anything more. What had happened to the beach was really interesting but how to I report that, does anyone else care?

Have I harmed anyone or anything by doing what I did?

How would an 'archeologist' see what I did?


6 comments:

  1. You have done nothing wrong there and have been responsible. I report jewellery that I find but always end up getting it back as no one reports it lost as they neve expect to get bak a ring lost on a beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy, Policewoman I handed it into was quite amused at me handing it in and agreed it was unlikely anyone would get it. Oh well 28 days to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done detectorbloke... a good start. Probably worth mentioning the details about checking whether its crown foreshore or a private beach (if its private you need permission). If you are lucky enough to make a historic find from the beach, then all that crown foreshore ask is that you record it in the same way as for any other find. If detecting on crown foreshore beaches you must have a copy of their permit with you... downloadable and free from their website.

    You will also find that many beaches are SSSI's and as always, you must have permission to detect on a SSSI. However, I have checked this with Natural England and they have an "acceptance" for beach metal detectorists in that it is no more damaging than bait digging or children digging holes for sand castles. All that ask is that you leave the beach as you find it....so fill in your holes. I see so many holes on beaches left by detectorists as they think that the tide will do the work for them... this is just sloppy...!

    So there are a few other considerations to add to your beach detecting toolkit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Good points I have a licence and did check for sssi but will definitely add to tool kit.

      Delete
  4. Beach or other swimming area where people used to gather before is such a great place to metal detect. It is where jewelries and coins might lost and therefore, might be found by a metal detectorist. Just keep on doing a good job. happy metal detecting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mike, yeah just even more important to hand them in to the police if you think they have been lost recently. Hrm well not sure more important is right word as they should all be handed in :) and you never know the person who collects a ring you found might have a whole lot of land!

    ReplyDelete