Monday 31 March 2014

Pottery identification

As previously confessed I've always been rather ignorant of all things non metal. I still don't know whether learning more about non metal stuff makes me a more responsible detectorist but if it means not walking over a PAS recordable piece of pottery or worked flint then I guess this is a good thing.

Hrm second thoughts in that I'm guessing its a good thing but now I'm worried that archaeologists might tell me I shouldn't pick up these bits as it might ruin a proper field walking survey which may theoretically be done at some point in the future.

Ah sod it I think learning more about non metal things is a good thing and as I'm finding it interesting I shall carry on. On which note I came across a really handy site with some great downloadable for personal use sheets on pottery identification. I think I will print them off.

It would be great to find a hammered coin and similar age pottery in the same location and perhaps selfishly finding old pottery might lead to old metal. Is that bad?





2 comments:

  1. Just add the pottery/flints to your metallic finds and pass them on to the FLO for identification and recording. Make sure that you give an accurate GR and that information will be of use if ever the field in question is subject to a fieldwalking survey or predevelopment archaeological evaluation. These usually take place prior to development so in most cases unless that occurs,the field will probably never be looked at by fieldwalking unless a local archaeological society or other volunteers group does this as a part of an organised project.
    Pottery ID is not an easy task to read up on and there is no substitute for hands on examination of as many pieces and types you can get to look at. Better still to be taught by those who have already become proficient in identification. Ask the FLO if they know of local courses on pottery identification as a starting point. The same can be said for flint and other stone artefacts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve, good idea. Am trying to get in with my local archaeology group just to go on some fieldwalking surveys but can't seem to find who they are, will bug my FLO for a contact.

    ReplyDelete