Monday 17 March 2014

One reason detecting fascinates me.

Finding out more about an object that you dig is one of the things that I increasingly love about detecting. The other day I found this.













At first I had no idea what it was. I thought maybe it was a silver cap badge as it had some hallmarks on the back and I had found some other badges in the area. I posted the object on a metal detecting forum and had some replies which suggested it was a Victorian hatpin made by Charles Horner. I have to say that the Forums can be really useful for identifying objects. One forgets what not having Google at the touch of a button was like.


To check the ID was right I thought I'd  try reading the hallmarks. I had never done this before but again a quick 'Google' of hallmarks and five minutes I think i is a Birmingham makers mark dated 1857.

Another search regarding Charles Horner shows he made some very similar hatpins but given he was born in 1837 it seems he was rather young at the time if his company did make it.



Curious as to whether his company made it I dug a little further and found out there is a Hat Pin Society of Great Britain so I have emailed them asking them if they are interested in the pin and if they have any more information about it.

Therefore after not knowing what the object was I have learnt about Hatpins, Charles Horner and that Hat Pin Society of Great Britain.

On reflecting about how this post might tie in with 'responsible' detecting I have a few observations.

1. The PAS do not currently voluntarily record these items as they aren't 300 years old. It strikes me that if the PAS isn't greatly expanded then by the time these items get old enough to be recorded there might be a whole lot less of them due to people like me.

2. If there weren't detectorists then would this item have ever been found anyway?

3. I don't know enough about how archaeologists go looking for places to dig (will have to find out).

4. How many items really are lost to the plough, chemicals etc. I hear this a lot from detectorists as a reason to dig but I don't know how much there is in it.










6 comments:

  1. 1. The PAS do not currently voluntarily record these items as they aren't 300 years old. It strikes me that if the PAS isn't greatly expanded then by the time these items get old enough to be recorded there might be a whole lot less of them due to people like me.

    2. If there weren't detectorists then would this item have ever been found anyway?

    3. I don't know enough about how archaeologists go looking for places to dig (will have to find out).

    4. How many items really are lost to the plough, chemicals etc. I hear this a lot from detectorists as a reason to dig but I don't know how much there is in it.

    All very valid questions that have been raised before...unfortunately there are those who will never honestly answer them, and yes they would rather you leave the item in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dick, Apologies if i'm going over old ground, just my ramblings on the subject. I'm trying to get my head around the 'leave it in the ground' arguements. Is there a cut off point age wise? Should I leave a 5p laying on the ground there so someone can discover it at some point in the future 'in context'?

    maybe all my thoughts are slanted by the fact I will continue detecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to apologize. I was just stating the obvious. I have been detecting for almost 40 years and the idea that we should simply leave what we find buried baffles me no end. Me thinks there's just a little bit of jealousy amongst the archaeological community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for the hat pin, does it look kind of like a thistle? If so could it maybe have a Scottish link ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi andy, yeah if you google Charles horner hat pins and look at images then he has a load of thistle designs. Am not sure why.

    Just sent you an email as accidentally pressed delete not publish on your last comment lol so will publish it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy sent this comment which I meant to publish but hit delete by mistake, duh.


    I understand why hoards ect should be left for the professionals to dig up once you have realised that it is a hoard your dealing with, they should be left in the ground until professional help has arrived. However I do not in any single way understand why certain people (who I cannot be bothered to give a mention due to not wanting to have a scene caused on your blog) say all finds should be left in the ground. They use the ageing argument that we should leave the heritage alone, heritage that would be unknown if it had not been found.

    This comment will probably cause uproar on a certain blog but I will say it anyway. I seriously believe they say it should be left because it paints them as being pretty useless, they are professionals and we are amateurs yet we bring home the bacon every time so to speak. Just look at how many fimds could to public attention due to us amateurs with metal detectors, now try and remember how many exciting discoveries you recall the professionals bringing to the publics attention.

    As far as im concerned thats your reason right there why they want to not to dig anything.

    ReplyDelete